Parents and Guardians of North and South Elementary students,
This letter is to inform you of a shift in the application of the LISD attendance and tardy
policy. Beginning next Monday, January 13, 2020 the following implementation will be in
place for all LISD students grade Pre-K through grade 5.
• Parents can call and excuse 3 absences during the spring 2020 semester.
o Please call the school and let us know if your child is ill.
o Absences can be excused for illness, emergencies, etc.
o Going out of town is not an excused absence.
• If your child has a doctor or dentist appointment, please have them attend school for
a partial day, before or after their appointment.
o When you check them out or if they arrive late, let us know it is for an
o Please give the school a note from the doctor’s office as soon as possible.
o Doctor/dentist appointments with partial attendance AND a note from the
doctor’s office do not count as absences. Your child will be counted present
for the entire day.
• Students who arrive at school less than 30 minutes late will be counted tardy and
will be subject to the campus attendance policy.
• Students who leave school less than 30 minutes before the end of the school day will
be counted tardy and will be subject to the campus tardy policy.
• Students who do not arrive to school by 10 a.m. will be counted absent for the day.
• Students who are more than 30 minutes tardy or who leave more than 30 minutes
before the school day ends will be counted as a partial day absent.
Parents can be filed on under TEXAS EDUCATION CODE Section 25.093 and the TEXAS
FAMILY CODE Section 65.003(a) for both/either ‘Partial day absence’ or ‘Full day absence’
that fit the specified criteria:
If a student is absent (UNEXCUSED ABSENCES ONLY) from school:
1. 3 or more days or parts of days in a 4 week period
2. 10 or more days or parts of days in a 6 month period
If you have questions, do not hesitate to contact your campus principal. Thank you for your
cooperation. Remember, we can only teach your child when they are in school. The purpose
of our attendance policy is to ensure each student receives a full and enriched education.